Noelle's first Easter was a lot of fun. On Saturday we went hunting for an Easter egg hunt. We got to one just in time only to find that they said ready-set-go!! and EVERYONE (including adults) descended on the eggs hidden in plain sight in a very small area. It was the stupidest thing I have EVER seen! It was over in a nanosecond and Emma got nary an egg and many other children did not either. There was a person for every square foot of that space. It was put on by some local merchants in a shopping complex - LAZY merchants I might add who didn't want to organize a decent and fun egg hunt for the kids.
Then, okay so we went hunting for a better egg hunt at the University of Northern Colorado campus (my alma mater and I thought that would be way cool to attend - put on by a fraternity). We got there exactly where they said the hunt would be and BTW in the newspaper it said it was from 10 to 2 p.m. which we could not figure out (obviously now we know it was a misprint). We got there about noon and there were several other families milling around looking for any sign of an egg hunt. None.
Hiss. Boo! Next year we will go to Windsor, CO to their egg extravaganza which I know is quite an affair.
Thankfully E.B. put on a very nice egg hunt for the girls inside our house and in our large back yard on Sunday.
Otherwise we colored eggs on Saturday night and got the baskets all ready to go. E.B. came to the house as expected and left lots of goodies and next year I will insist that E.B. not leave anything chocolate that "Mwah" will like - I am devouring Reese's chocolate eggs. The girls are not into them - Emma likes her Peeps - so I am eating all the chocolate, along with Wayne I think.
Emma wore her dress from last year as I saw a "mini-me" version of it in Target and decided to dress the girls alike. Emma got new shoes so that took care of the "new" part of dressing up for Easter Sunday. Noelle looked totally adorable in her dress - she did not know what to think of it. Both girls looked so pretty in pink! We got lots of compliments at church - one lady said she loved a little girl in a poofy dress. :D I know I only have a limited amount of time to dress my girls in what (I) want. I am guessing next year Emma will be picking out her own Easter dress (or pants!).
Emma got a toy cash register from E.B. and Noey a toy phone. Noey is not really into the noisy toys yet - she obviously spent her days playing with "old-fashioned" toys like kids should! She plays with anything, trying to figure out how it works. She does not say any words that we can recognize yet. We went to the doc yesterday and she told us that it will take a while for Noey to figure out a new way of moving her mouth to speak English. (Noey had a rash over her torso and that is why we went to the doc - she said it is most likely eczema not an allergic rash. I am not so sure I believe that, but she is the doc after all.)
My Easter had somewhat of a damper put on it while at church a "mature" lady like myself was talking with us and oohing and aahing over the girls when she just had to interject, "Soooo, what is it like being older parents?" Can you believe that? Wayne says she meant nothing by it - well, I am not sure and it just obviously shows the bias against older parents in our society. Would she have asked that question of a 15 and 16-year-old with a baby - "Sooo, what is it like being parents to a baby when you are still a baby yourself?" Anyhoo..... you know how I bristle at these things but these comments are very commonplace and I better get used to them.
Now I totally understand why a lot of people asked Wayne and I if we knew what we were doing adopting at our ages BECAUSE it is a heck of a lot of work!!! Right been there and done thats??! ;D We had our "retirement" and footloose and fancy-free days all through our 20s, 30s, and 40s (and Wayne half of his 50s). Now I know why older people who have grown kids and are getting grandkids just want to sit back and "get old" as they are probably exhausted!! I don't want to sit back and get old obviously!! Like one older mother said in that she said she eagerly anticipates bedtime some days, I can heartily agree with her!! Now having Noey I am thoroughly exhausted. Noey is a baby really - she can walk but barely and wants to be held all the time. She plays independently very well, but of course not all the time. Honestly it is Emma that is the most exhausting at the moment. She copies everything Noelle says and does, thinking that hey it will get me attention, too. She does and says everything louder and more pronounced, so our household is pretty crazy right now. Emma also has regressed to sucking on a bottle at times and we let her not saying anything about it either way - have read about this and it is not a big deal to me. BUT it will not go past a few months let me tell you. When I pick Noey up, Emma will come and hang on me wanting to be picked up, when Noey hugs one of my legs, Emma will hug onto the other. I certainly hope this all will pass. Know it will - right? ;D
However, we made a choice to adopt BOTH of these girls at our ages and we will go gung-ho to be active and energetic parents (and not give into the "we're too old for this" thinking) and to give these girls a wonderful childhood.
So, Easter was totally exhausting for this blessed Mama of 2, but knowing I am doing everything in my power to rise above the expectations of being a "mature" mom is so worth it, showing me that yes, I can do this, with God's help, I can do this. :D :D :D
Emma bought this singing duck at Walgreens for Noey. Even though Emma is way jealous of Noey at times, when pinned down she will tell you she loves her sister and shows it in a lot of ways.
The reason Noey is crying here: Because she didn't want to share my lap with her sister. Sheesh!




























What adorable girls. It is so much fun to see their personalities and how very different they are. Great ages to enjoy truly the best of times! Well, for parents anyway. I love that your first Holiday together was Easter. What a great time to celebrate redemption and grace. Great pictures! thanks for posting them.
ReplyDeleteGoodness it looks like they are settling in to life as usual! Happy belated Easter!
ReplyDeletenancy
Looks like you had a very blessed Easter. Emma and Noelle are just beautiful! Love the egg in the shoe.
ReplyDelete